Can Section 8 Be Transferred to Another State?

In managing daily base expenses one tries to find pocket friendly sources that could provide a sigh of relief. Inflation rate is going parallel to sky-scrapers with each day passing by. Cost-push finance is making it difficult for a common man to execute his economic plans. The stress can be reduced to certain extent if you get financial subsidy over rental expenditures. Section 8 or Housing Choice Voucher program (HCV) is a program run with assistance of federal government in order to assist with the expense of renting an appropriate home that complies with the program’s requirements with the favorable option of portability.

Can Section 8 Be Transferred to Another State

What Is Section 8?

A housing choice voucher, which offers a reduction on rent, is something that the federal government and public housing authority have agreed to jointly offer to an individual or a family. On behalf of the section 8 beneficiary, the PHA offers a rental subsidy and pays the landlord. The beneficiary is then required to pay the difference between the section 8 reimbursement and the actual rent. However, PHA has set a payment threshold in terms of money. In the majority of circumstances, tenants are required to pay 30% of their modified monthly total toward rent and utilities. In some instances, if the rent exceeds the acceptable payment thresholds, this percentage may increase to 40%.

Is Section 8 Portable?

Life is challenging and is unpredictable. Circumstances may flip all of a sudden and compel one to move from one place to another. Reason could be any; it may be a job requirement, a scholarship opportunity, any medical reason, family issue or case of domestic violence in case of a female or lack of facilities that does not come up to one’s comfort level. So, the person may want to migrate in light of any of the above scenarios. Now question may arise in migrant’s mind can voucher be relocated to new state or country? The answer to the question is YES! Coupons are distributed as a ‘tenant-based’ subsidy which offers that voucher is mobile and is transferable to location where the beneficiary wants to reside incase if that very location is offering HCV. This transference is called as “portability” feature. The process is conducted by local Public Housing Authorities (PHA). As a result, relocating to another state necessitates dealing with two separate housing agencies.

Endorsing New Location:

Once your local PHA authenticates your mobility it will contact the other PHA where you want to move. For this purpose, you should mention your current PHA about the location you want to port. The voucher is transferable if and only if there exists another housing authority that volunteers rental assistance program. Both program’s basic rules and requirements should coincide.

Rectifing Current Lease:

A tenant must be in good books in terms of lease. This will determine eligibility of leaseholder mobility. If not so, your request for rental assistance will be straight rejected. You must notify your present private landlord that you want to depart at least 30 days in advance. It can also be 60 days before as well.

You will than receive a transfer letter from your local PHA when you address the authority regarding your emigration. It will contain applicant’s and signatory’s signatures which will be return back to PHA. A copy of document should be attached if the current lease is terminated. Section 8 forbids you from moving before your lease expires.

Policies Regarding Porting Process

If both HCV agencies inter co-ordinate with each other than you might have the possibility of not going through the verification process again. Your former HCV may provide the receiving HCV with all necessary documentation and details discussing the possible amendments with the applicant such as his current income and other basic info which may ease the process for him. The agency will also forward HUD 50058 form (Family Report).

But! it’s not obvious in every case. May be any of the HCV is non-cooperative, in that case applicant himself has to do the hustle of clearing all attestation. There is a form called ‘portability release form’ that contains fundamental inquiries regarding applicant. In order to move to another place there are few practicalities which should be kept in mind.

  1. If you are found to be good enough to qualify, your Case Manager will forward your file to the Portability Facilitator, who will process your port-out request. When contacting the Portability Coordinator, have the details of the state, county, or town where you want to transfer. The voucher will just be legitimate for 120 days. So the require paperwork should be submitted within given span or else you will have to re-apply for assistance.
    2.If a tenant is approved eligible for relocating to an other place by his present HCV than he should contain a copy of notice between him and his landlord. Here point to ponder is, if the tenant is in the first year of lease the landlord may not allow him to move. In that case you cannot move with subsidy for another residence.
    3.Tenant should not have Tenant Repayment Agreement(TRA). Before porting out, tenants must pay any outstanding TRA in full.
  2. If you are a fresh participant in the Section 8 program, you must satisfy the Lane County criteria and conditions.
  3. Section 8 portability rules require you to spend at least 12 months in the region where you initially met the requirements for subsidized housing.
  4. If you are new to the Section 8 scheme, you ought to be capable of being accepted under the income limits of the new destination.
  5. Make certain that your existing unit is in decent condition and that you owe no revenue to your leaseholder.
  6. Violations of your contract and the Housing Authority’s Family Obligations may lead to the suspension of your help and support even after you have moved out.
  7. If you make a decision not to relocate out of Lane County, you should then promptly inform the Portability Coordinator of your decision to withdraw your Port-Out proposal.

Fundamentals for Transference

Section 8 is hyperbolic to understand; a bit technical but gradually gets in mind when investigated. However, process may seem complicated because government wants every individual should have a shelter but with all safety measures taken so that everyone is likely having safe living opportunities. So, there are few factors that may be problematic if not sorted or even lead to cancellation of your assistance when you want to port.

  1. Until your lease is not fully cleared for the previous housing you can’t have assistance for the new place. In mean time it is likely possible that you have to pay initial months (one or two) rent for new place on your own. It’s because lease time may overlap for both places than housing authority is obviously not responsible and willing to pay twice for the same month.
  2. If you owe your previous landlord money, you’ll have to pay it before moving because your transfer won’t be approved until that lease is paid in full.
  3. If your old lease expired than you will be considered inappropriate choice for Section 8 because you violated its terms in some way and you won’t be approved for a transfer, though there is an exception to this rule under the federal Violence Against Women Act if you’re moving because you’re a victim of domestic assault.
  4. Due to a budget freeze, the Housing Authority may not permit transfers.
  5. Since you moved to a more costly region, there is a dilemma with the Housing Authority continuing to pay for the voucher.


We extract from analysis is that; normally, the transfer of section 8 voucher towards another state takes six to ten weeks. To prevent delays, you simply need to make sure you took the right actions. Your section 8 is transferrable as long as you comply. It doesn’t matter how far are you moving. Just make sure you followed the right procedures to have your aid closed at hand.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *